In a Dropbox for Business instance with Team Folders, your admin may have configured these folders to prevent external sharing as a default security setting. Additionally, your Dropbox for Business can be configured Dropbox links to be shared to your team only by default. Note this pertains to sharing links of folders within the Team Folder itself.
You can check what the expected behaviour by logging onto your Dropbox account online and checking the folder’s settings. Navigate to the folder you wish to share by link:
- Click on “Share”. The example below is a folder called “Restricted” within a Team folder where external sharing is restricted.
- Click on "Folder settings”
- If the options are greyed out and cannot be modified, this means that your Team Folder restricts sharing links externally
If the Team Folder has been configured to allow external sharing, but by default you cannot share externally, you will need to configure the link settings of the folder you wish to share:
- Click on “Share". The example below is a folder called “Allowed” within a Team Folder where external sharing is not restricted.
- Click on "Create a link”
- Your link will be created and you will now have an option to configure Link Settings. Note only your Dropbox team can view the link
- Click on Link Settings, and select the appropriate option from the list. If you wish to allow anyone with the link to access the folder, select “Anyone with the link”.
- You can additionally configure an expiry date for the link if required.