Using Rollup Helper is a great tool to help you roll-up Salesforce data - count, sum, max, min, average, percent, and more. It is useful when you are trying to create a rollup summary field with a dynamic Date period e.g Last Fiscal Year, or Last 3 Quarters, which standard Salesforce does not offer.
For this article we will define the field on the summary object as "Sum of Opportunities" for an Account and will refer to that example throughout.
Please note that Rollup Helper is a 3rd Party App (non-AlphaSys)
Creating a Field on the Summary Object
1. Create your Field first. Click on Setup in the top right corner and the type in 'account' into the Quickfind / Search bar. Click on Fields.
2. Under the Account Custom Fields & Relationships tab click the New button.
3. Choose the field type by checking one of the options in the list. For this example we will pick Number. Then click the Next button.
4. Name the Field Label "Sum of Opportunities", add a description and click Next.
5. Define the field-level security by checking which users you would like this Field to be visible to and to which users this Field would be Read-Only. For this scenario we will make this field Read-Only to all users except for the System Administrator. Click Next.
6. Check all the tick boxes on layouts. Click Save.
You will now see the new field you just created in the Account Custom Fields & Relationships list and are now ready to switch to the Rollup Helper.
Using Roll-up Helper
1. Click on Rollup Helper on the dropdown menu at the top-right corner of the page.
2. Click the Create A New Rollup button.
3. Select where you would like your rollup results to reside by clicking Select next to the desired Label. In this scenario select Account.
4. This is where you will select the Field that you just made in the steps above. Click on Select next to Sum of Opportunities.
5. You need to define the source of your rollup (of where the data is coming from). The Child Object in this scenario is Opportunity. Click on Opportunity in the child object panel then Account ID - Opportunity.AccountId.
6. Select Amount from the list then check Sum as that is what the summary is on.
7. Create a filter for the last quarter. Click on Create New Filter.
8. We want to filter this summary by Closed Won Opportunities in the Last Year. Give the Filter a name.
9. Select Stage and click Add>>.
10. Specify filter criteria for Stage by selecting Stage from Opportunity Fields, Operator as Equals, Criteria as Closed Won. Click Submit. Do the same with Closed Date, Select Closed Date as the Opportunity Field, Operator as Equals, Criteria as Last Year. Click Submit. Then click Save at the bottom of the page.
11. Click Save and Schedule.
Define Rollup Schedule
1. Tick the Active checkbox, name the Schedule, and select how often you would like to run the Summary. Click Save. Note: The field value is updated once a day, meaning that if on the 1st July you enter a donation for 30th June, you will not see the value in the Donations last Qtr update immediately after you save, but it will be updated overnight, so you will see the changed value on the 2nd July.