To improve and simplify the way you send a support request, you may use the AlphaSys Support tray icon application. The application provides basic information about your computer and facilitates sending a support request email to our help desk system.
Please see below for basic operation of the tray icon.
The tray icon can be found in your system tray, which is at the bottom right of your main computer window and is next to the time.
- Click on the triangle pointing up to display your system tray icons
- The application is portrayed by the orange AlphaSys logo. Clicking on the icon brings up information about your computer and a menu with functions.
- The key items are highlighted below:
- Computer name:
- IP address (is unique to your computer and network, and typically only the second line with numbers only may need to be quoted):
- Support functions (allow you to send an email to email@example.com with screenshots of your desktop, open up website with AlphaSys contact details and quickly open a command prompt window):
Email support with screenshot
- This function will open up a new email in Outlook with a screenshot of whatever is displaying on your computer screen at that point.
- The “To…” address field will be populated with firstname.lastname@example.org
- The attachment is a screenshot of your desktop
Email support with multiple screenshots
- If you are having an issue where a particular behaviour is being displayed over several steps, you may use the option to email support with multiple screenshots. This function will open up a recording application that records a screenshot every time you click or interact with your computer.
- Click “Start Recording"
- You can interact with your computer to replicate the problem. Each click or interaction is recorded. When you have finished, click on "Stop Recording”
- A new email windows in Outlook will open with a .zip attachment
- You can review your recording by opening up the attachment. The file is a .mhtml file which will open up in your web browser.
- Please note that the tray icon will not respond until you have sent the email or close the email window.
AlphaSys website and contact
- This links to the AlphaSys website contact page displaying address and phone number.
- This function opens up a command prompt window. This will typically only be required for use if there is a problem with your computer’s internet connection and AlphaSys support staff require to talk you through basic troubleshooting.