In Dropbox, when you share a folder with other users, they can access the file in their Dropbox online or offline. If you share a link they can access it online.
Regardless of whether it's a link or a folder, by default, people have view-only access to the file which allows them to:
- View files
- Comment on files
- Download files
It does not allow them to:
- Edit files
- Add files
- Delete files
People are only able to edit the original files if the shared folder owner or editor changes the folder permissions to allow edit access. Edit access allows selected members to edit, add or delete files in a folder.
Changing permissions for a shared folder:
1. Sign in to http://dropbox.com
2. Click 'Sharing'.
3. Scroll to the Folders in your Dropbox section.
4. Click the 'Share' link next to the shared folder.
5. Enter the email addresses of the new members you’d like to add.
6. In the same field, select 'Can View' or 'Can Edit' from the pull-down menu.
7. Click the 'Share' button that appears.