These directions are a general guide to installing a printer. This is generally done by your system administrator however is helpful to know if you need to reinstall a printer driver when there are problems with the existing printer software and you already have the driver.
1. Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
2. Select "Add a Printer".
3. Click the link "The printer that I want isn't listed" at the bottom of the window.
4. Select "Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname" and click "Next"
5. Under Device type select "TCP/IP Device".
Under Hostname or IP address type in the assigned IP address of the printer (will be given by system administrator).
Uncheck "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use".
6. Click "Next"
7. If you know the printer model then Windows can add the driver automatically from the internet - select your printer from the list provided and click "Next", and follow the wizard to finish installing. From there, go to Post-Setup Instructions further down this page.
Otherwise, click "Have Disk".
8. Click "Browse"… to find the driver provided on the user computer (will be on the client network, or ensure it has installed to the user's computer remotely).
9. Click "OK"
10. Select printer model from the list provided.
11. If the printer has been installed prior, select "Replace the current driver" - this will usually fix most printer problems.
12. Otherwise, continue with the wizard to install the printer, but deselect the option to share printers.
13. Once the printer has been set up, set the printer as default by right clicking on its icon in the Control Panel>Devices and Printers page.
14. From the same dropdown, select "Printing preferences" and change "Output Color" to Black/White. Click "OK" to close.
You can also configure other printer settings (e.g. paper tray, page layout, print format) here.
OPTIONAL: Bi-directional Communication
15. Right click on the printer icon and select "Printer properties". Under the "Configuration" tab click "Bi-directional Setup".
16. Under "Get Printer Information Automatically" select "On" and click "OK" to close.