In addition to the columns of data that are included in your import, sometimes it’s necessary to add additional columns so that default values can be inserted into some fields in the records being created in Salesforce. This is necessary to support various business processes.
For example, you may be importing a list of names and email addresses but also want to specify for each of the contacts being imported that their preferred channel of communication is going to be email. In such case, you need to add a Preferred Channel column to the data in Excel and provide that with a default value of Email. When the import is run, this column will also be inserted.
Other examples of where this technique is useful include:
- Specifying a Receipt Action to determine whether a receipt needs to be generated or prevented from being generated on donations.
- Specifying Opportunity status and Payment Source IDs to control whether a transaction needs to be cleared, or whether it has already been processed and you are just importing the donation details.
- Specifying a Segment for the contacts being imported.
- Specifying the Source Campaign for contacts being imported.
Here is an example of a Contact import spreadsheet where the ProntoPlus__Receipt_Email__c
Field has been created and populated so that the Receipt Email will be defaulted to the correct value for receipt production.
The following steps should also be completed prior to import:
- Ensure that only records you need to import are imported. Other records such as donation transactions that have already failed, should be removed.
- Cleansing and reformatting of name, address, email, phone and other columns should be completed.
- If your file contains different types of records or transactions, for example P2P event registrations and donations, you should divide it into separate files for each.
- Links to other records already in your org, such as references to contacts, campaigns, GAUs etc should refer to the Salesforce 18 digit ID of that record.
- Columns for fields that are Checkboxes should have either True (ticked) or False (unticked) for every record line
- Any required fields in Salesforce should be included as a column and have a value for every record line